Saturday, July 14, 2012

Greetings from Kitale!



I have been dreaming about this day for a very long time. For the past couple of months this day has been continuously on my mind, in my daily conversations, and most importantly in my prayers. The Lord, as He often does, answered my prayers in ways that I couldn't have ever imagined.

We set off this morning (or I guess technically yesterday morning) for Holy Cross Church and School in Milimani. Many thanks to our very skilled driver Mwangi, that even with a door that slides open at random, we made it there safely. Tom was officially named the doorkeeper and was in charge of slamming the door shut every other mile. Then we turned down this trail, basically an extreme dirt biking trail (Kirsten's description), in our very large mini-van.

After a couple of miles of the most thrilling ride I've ever had in a mini-van, we started to see them: the wide-eyed, innocent stares, the timid waving of little fingers, the kind, beautiful smiles. The kind of smiles that are so warm and full of joy that they can melt your heart from over a mile away. As we exited the van we were greeted with toothy  grins, welcoming hands, and joyful songs. Seeing these children, whom I have been hoping and praying to someday be able to meet, is a moment that I will cherish in my heart forever.

After meeting and greeting the children we also got to meet the teachers of the school. I am looking forward to getting to know these wonderful servants of the Lord, learning from observing their teaching, and working with them in these coming weeks.

Today was a day filled with strong emotions. God knew and could see that I needed a little bit of extra support to make it through. There was this very small little boy who was off by himself away from the group. I decided to go and make sure that he was okay. When I spoke to him, he didn't speak back, he simply reached out his hand and grabbed mine. And he did not let go. Through the tiny hands of His precious little lamb Dominic, the Lord sent me the support I needed to carry on His work. I could not have asked for a better day. I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for us in these coming weeks. Thank you all for your prayers and your kind words! To God alone be the glory!

Kate Oster

2 comments:

  1. Kate, what a beautiful description of your day! (I knew it was you writing even before I saw your name at the end!) We're praying for you and all the Helpers each day - for your safety, health, and spiritual enrichment. Yes, you are delivering the gospel to many, but I think you all will be equally uplifted through this trip. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful message Kate. You make it so real--I almost feel I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete